|Stuffed Green Peppers
- 6 large squatty green peppers
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ½ pound ground pork
- 1 ½ cups cooked white rice (about ½ cup raw)
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¾ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup sliced, peeled onions
- 6 peppercorns
- 1 cup canned condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 28-ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 2 sprigs parsley
Wash peppers. Cut thin slice from stem end of each; remove all seeds. Place peppers, water and salt in Dutch oven or deep kettle. Cover; boil 5 minutes. Drain; reserve liquid.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, brown ground beef and ground pork. Cool slightly and add cooked white rice, ground black pepper and dried thyme to meat mixture. Lightly fill drained peppers with this mixture.
Melt butter in Dutch oven, add onions; sauté until golden. When onions are brown, add remaining ingredients including reserved liquid. Arrange peppers upright in sauce. Cover; simmer 30 minutes. Serve peppers surrounded by sauce. Makes 6 servings.