|Cinnamon Walnut Scones
- 2 ¼ cups flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- ½ cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2/3 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
- 1/3 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a large mixing bowl or food processor. Add the butter with a pastry cutter until mixture is like coarse meal. Add the milk, egg and vanilla, and mix just until the dough forms.
Turn the dough out onto a floured breadboard. Knead the walnuts unto the dough. Pat the dough to form a circle ¾” thick. Using a 2 ½” biscuit cutter dipped in flour, cut the dough into 12 rounds. Place the scones onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush tops with beaten egg and sprinkle with remaining chopped walnuts. Bake 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.